This J.P. Sauer & Sohn Model 1913 is a self loading pocket pistol of the blowback design. These pistols were chambered for either the 6.35mm(.25 ACP) or 7.65mm Browning(.32 ACP) cartridges. The pistol featured on this page is chambered for the 7.65mm Browning cartridge. The pistol features a front blade sight and a rear notch sight. The barrel length is 2.9 inches with six grooves and a right hand twist. This Model 1913 utilizes a 7 round removable box magazine and the entire pistol weighs in at 21 ounces while unloaded.
In 1751, Johann Paul Sauer took over the family business and started to produce firearms from his small shop in Suhl, Germany. The company produced not only quality hunting rifles, but they were also contracted by the German government to produce military rifles and in 1811 they were actually the first company in the town of Suhl to have been awarded such a contract. In 1838 the company opened a new factory in Suhl and merged with the Strum and Spangenberg companies. By 1858, a touch over 100 years after Johann Paul Sauer had taken over the family business, the company had grown to employ some two hundred and sixty people. After the end of the Franco-Prussian war, the demand for military arms had declined so steeply that in 1882 Rudolf and Franz Sauer decided to concentrate solely on the sporting arms market which dissolved the Spangenberg, Sauer, & Sturm corporation. This resulted in the J.P. Sauer & Sohn or Johann Paul Sauer & Son company that we know today. The top design engineer at the J.P. Sauer & Sohn company was a gentleman by the name of Fritz Zehner who designed firearms such as the Roth-Sauer, Model 1913, Model 1930, Behorden, and 38-H.
The striker fired single action pocket pistol was the dominant form of self loading pistol in the early 20th century. These small firearms were often pressed into service as substitute standard sidearms during WWI. The Model 1913 was being produced just prior to the start of WWI and as such it was a popular sidearm with both officers and NCO's of the German Army. A number of the firearms were even purchased privately by the enlisted troops. After the end of WWI, production of the Model 1913 ceased but was resumed in 1922 where it continued until 1935. On June 1st of 1948, the East German government under the authority of the Soviet Military Administration took over all rights to the J.P. Sauer & Sohn firm and the Sauer family no longer had any rights of ownership.
The Model 1913, like all of the early Sauers, was manufactured to extremely high standard. The pistols will show little or no slide to frame lateral play and have rather surprisingly crisp triggers for striker fired pistols. The striker firing mechanism works in the following fashion; applying pressure to the trigger in a rearward motion causes the trigger bar to move to the rear and downward, it then disengages from the striker's nose which frees it to go forward under spring pressure and strike the cartridge. The model 1913 was finished with a beautiful high polish rust blue. Some of the parts such as the barrel, breech block, and striker were left unfinished and in the white. The grips are hard rubber with the S&S(Sauer & Sohn) logo at the top.
The Model 1913 served with the German military in both world wars and the police agencies of not only the Weimar Republic, but police agencies all around Europe following the end of the Second World War. The pistol was exported to countries all around the word and the new owners could choose from a variety of options to include barrels made from a Krupp Lauf Stahl(steel), a nickel or blued finish, and grips ranging from hard rubber to antlers as well as bone or ivory.